Lauring, J. O. (Ed.) (2014). An introduction to neuroaesthetics: The neuroscientific approach to aesthetic experience, artistic creativity, and arts appreciation. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press.
From the publisher: “With this volume, Jon O. Lauring offers a cutting-edge introduction to the emerging field of neuroaesthetics. Gathering works from leading scholars all across the globe, he surveys the many ways we have taken what we have learned about our brains and nervous system and applied it to new understandings of art, beauty, and creativity.
The contributors explore the biological underpinnings of aesthetic experience from a variety of angles. Opening with a look at neuroaesthetics’s historical antecedents and an outline of methods and theories, the book goes on to address a fascinating assortment of studies on biological stimuli and art, from faces and landscapes to literature and film, from places and architecture to music and dance. Simultaneously exploring data from the latest brain-imaging technology and addressing some of our most enduring philosophical quandaries, this volume offers a comprehensive look at a pivotal moment in aesthetics, which grows richer every day with new questions”.
1. A History for Neuroaesthetics (Marcos Nadal, Antoni Gomila, and Alejandro Gàlvez-Pol)
2. Experimental Aesthetics (Helmut Leder and Pablo P. L. Tinio)
3. The Theoretical and Methodological Backdrop of Neuroaesthetics (Jon O. Lauring)
4. Visual Art (Jon O. Lauring)
5. Seeing Faces in the Brain (Alumit Ishai)
6. Environmental Neuroaesthetics, Places, and Architecture (Nicolai Rostrup)
7. The Musical Brain (Jens Hjortkjær)
8. Literary Reading (David S. Miall)
9. Film, Neuroaesthetics, and Empathy (Torben Grodal and Mette Kramer)
10. Neuroaesthetics and Dance (Beatriz Calvo-Merino and Julia F. Christensen)
11. Neuropsychology of the Arts (Bartlomiej Piechowski-Jozwiak and Julien Bogousslavsky)
12. Generating Aesthetic Products in the Scanner: fMRI Studies of Drawing, Story Writing, and Jazz Improvisation (Oshin Vartanian)